CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 10, 2009

We've survived the week!

Well we have survived our first week in Kenya! It has been so amazing so far. It is such a beautiful country. We all feel so blessed to have the opportunity to come here.
I am so surprised by how easily I am finding everything. I haven't really felt too much out of my comfort zone, which is really good. The roads are quite scary, but I am getting used to them!
We have had an amazing week at Lifespring church. The people there are awesome. We were blown away by how friendly & welcoming they are & how passionate they are about the Lord. We have all been so humbled by their faith. We all had a big chat yesterday about how we have all been challenged so far. They are so many things that we have learned from being here that we all really want to take home with us & continue at home.
I've enjoyed getting to know the team at Lifespring this week but have also loved getting to know the rest of the Aussie team. Most of them I don't know very well & have been enjoying spending time with them & getting to know them better this week. They are such an awesome bunch. I feel so blessed to be roomates with Victoria this week. She is awesome & I have loved spending time with her & getting to know her.
We haven't finished the playground yet. We had hoped it would be finished this week, but knew that it might not be, so we are going back there at least monday & tuesday & then hopefully it will be finished.
I have really loved all the food over here. I haven't had anything yet that I haven't liked. Most of the foods I have eaten have been fairly normal to me. I have tried a few new foods. I love chepatis, which are a flat bread, & mandazis, which are like donuts. Yesterday I tried an ostrich burger, which was really nice.
Yesterday we went to the Massai markets. That was quite an experience! I was so overwhelmed by it all! After the first 15 minutes I was getting so stressed out & not coping with how pushy & in your face the sales people were. So I took a bit of a breather & then decided to get back into it, going at my own pace, rather than trying to keep up with the others. I still wasn't feeling too comfortable with it, but I had a go & did some bartering for all the things I wanted to buy. Most of the items I got for about half of what they initially asked, so I was quite happy with that. It is all such a blur though! Afterwards everyone was saying how much everything cost them, & I couldn't remember what any of mine cost! I know I got some good deals though, so I was happy.
Last night & tonight we are staying at Lukenya, which is a resort about half an hour out of Nairobi. It is very nice here. We are having a chilled back day today, after our busy week.

5 Praise Points For The Week

*
Praise God that we have had the amazing opportunity to come over to Kenya & experience life in this beautiful country.
* Praise God that He has kept us all safe so far & that none of us have been majorly sick.
* Praise God for the the friendships we have been building amongst our own team and with the team from Lifespring.
* Praise God for the progress on the playground & how everyone has been working so well together as a team.
* Praise God for the amazing ways He provides for us & how even when things have seemed hopeless, He has provided a way for us.

5 Prayer Points For The Week

* Pray that we will all be refreshed & replenished after our day of relaxing today & all ready for another week of work.
* Pray that all will come together with the playground & that it will get finished on time.
* Pray that our children's program will go well tomorrow & that we will be able to reach out to the children at Lifespring Church.
* Pray that we will have safe travels throughout the remainder of our trip.
* Pray that we will be able to take home what we are learning & be able to put it all into practice back at home.

5 comments:

miss~nance said...

Can't wait to see what you boguht at the markets. Good to hear that your are getting to know the team better especially your roomy Victoria.

Thanks for the prayer and praise points gives me something specific to pray for. Will be praying for all the team's childrens programme today but especially for Curtis, Bethany & you.

Lukenya sounds lovely. Hope you have taken lots of pics.

It was lovely to catch up with you live last night (even Pete) hopefuly we can do it again soon.

Keep the pics coming - its great to see them.

Love you lots

Mum

Susan said...

Welcome to Africa.
Take care and hugs.
Susan from South Africa

lusi said...

An ostritch burger???!!!! Oh my goodness - well done to you for giving that a go!!! I love reading your reports mate - sounds like you are having an absolute experience of a lifetime :)
God bless you richly honey.
I saw your Show and Tell piece is out at the moment in the Newsagency :) Yay for you!
Thinking of you :)
Lus x

Anonymous said...

You da man Hayleee, you da maaannnn... You gonna come back wid yor black skin showin throo.

Anonymous said...

Hi Haylee - We've been praying for you every day, but I've only just discovered how to give you a message! Your time in Kenya sounds awesome!! And it's an answer to so many prayers that you're all keeping well, getting on as a team so wonderfully, and discovering so much more about God's people and His faithfulness - all great treasures!! Much love, Michele